0.3.0 is having a nice little start. Two part-time servers yesterday and a new one brought up today, all seeing nice growth. I’ve done a little doodling in all three. And it’s nice to see this thing alive again.
My attention is drawn now to the biggest among the many issues with the program, especially those relating to how players interact with one another.
- A lobby that shows all running non-private servers and their statistics. This will be coming next update or the one after, hopefully.
- No custom avatars, makes other players much less interesting than they should be.
- Advanced: If you want to hack around this early, press ~, type in ‘figedit’, hit ENTER, hit control-L or the folder button, and load “../blank/menu/avatar.fig”. This editor tool takes some figuring out and lets you select, layer and shift things. Hit Control-S twice to quickly save over the file.
- The ‘chat’ window covers most of the screen, possibly blocking what other players are saying. This is a huge problem.
- There’s no interaction with players who are drawing something, and really ought to be. A spectator-mode would be great, though that’s hard to implement.
- Some issues and bugs in the draw tool.
- A non-randomized palette and some smarter color selection tools.
- Fill acts strangely around the outside edges of a cell.
- There needs to be some kind of feature to aid in drawing things “behind” or “inside” other things. (Layering and/or masking)
- Some features, like right-click erasing walls and zoom, aren’t very well explained.
- Some kind of vertex-count warning (*possibly* a limit the admin can set) so users know when their cells will start to get laggy.
- A way of testing the cell without having to upload and re-edit it, or at least having an indicator of characters’ jump height / length.
- Better admin features.
- Re-blanking cells. (used to be in, removed when I made passwords more secure)
- Editing without altering the password.
- In the long run, setting default permissions and appointing moderators, probably with a password elevation system.
These are the things I’m currently going to pick and choose from as priorities in coming updates. I’m curious what YOU guys think is important, though, so let me hear what you think I should dedicate my (rather limited) time to first.
Over and out–